Learn how to add subtitles in VLC media player. How to search and download subtitles automatically in VLC. How to play subtitles on VLC, add subtitle downloads to VLC.
VLSub is a VLC extension that search and get subtitles for any movies being watched in VLC media player. The extension will search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org using the hash of the video currently playing or its title. Isn’t it amazing. Here is how to get subtitles for every movie in VLC player.
How to Install VLSub 0.9.10 VLC Extension
- Download VLSub 0.9.10 VLC Extension from official VLC website.
- Once downloaded extract the file “vlsub.lua”
- Create a new directory named “extensions” (name in small alphabets) in the VLC folder (where you have downloaded VLC Player). For Windows OS, the directory path for “extensions” folder should look like:
ProgramFiles > VideoLAN > VLC > lua > extensions
- Similarly create a directory “extensions” at this location and put the file “vlsub.lua” inside:
Windows (all users): %ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions\
Windows (current user): %APPDATA%\vlc\lua\extensions\
Linux (all users): /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions/
Linux (current user): ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/extensions/
Mac OS X (all users): /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/extensions/
Mac OS X (current user): /Users/%your_name%/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc/lua/extensions/
How to Use VLSub 0.9.10 VLC Extension
- To start the extension click on “View” menu option and you will find the VLCSub otpion inside the “View” menu.
- Now play any movie in VLC player and open vlsub extension.
- You will see a dialogue box with subtitles options like title, subtitles language etc.
- Here you can search subtitles for the movie using two options – search by hash and search by name. Most of the time you won’t know the hash address so use second option to search subtitles using title of the movie.
- Type the name of the movie in title section and click on search by name button.
- It wil show you few subtitles files to download in the search result box.
- Select the subtitle file you think is most appropriate and click on Download Selection.
- Once the download is complete you will get a message saying “Success: subtitles loaded”
- Now close vlsub dialogue box.
The subtitle shall be loaded automatically and you can see it along-with your video.