How to install GNOME 3.22 desktop environment on Ubuntu 16.04. Learn to install GNOME via Ubuntu command line. GNOME 3.22 contains major new features, as well as many smaller improvements and bug fixes. In total, the release incorporates 22980 changes, made by approximately 775 contributors. GNOME 3.22 has been named “Karlsruhe” in recognition of this year’s GUADEC organizing team.
GNOME 3.22 Features
- Flatpak Integration – GNOME 3.22 comes with comprehensive Flatpak support. The Software application is now able to install Flatpak repository files, which means that it is possible to install Flatpak repositories and applications without ever having to use the command line. Numerous other smaller changes makes it easy to install and update Flatpak applications, such as the display of source information for each application, as well as details about whether applications are sandboxed.
- Rename Multiple Files – The Files application now allows multiple files to be renamed at the same time. This is extremely useful when dealing with collections of similar files, such as videos, music or photos. Files can be renamed using either a template that is applied to each file, or by searching for and replacing parts of all the file names. The template mode allows details from the files to be included as part of their names, such as their creation date, or the track number, artist name or album name for music files.
- Improved Software Application – The Software application has an updated look for GNOME 3.22. The landing page has been revamped and now shows more application tiles, and the category section makes browsing a more integral part of the experience. Star ratings are also displayed more prominently, in order to make it easier to find the best applications to install.
There are many other smaller improvements in GNOME 3.22 release:
- The new version of Calendar now lets you set alarms for events. It also lets you move things using drag and drop, and the layout of the year view has been refined.
- Polari, GNOME’s IRC client, is now able to remember and automatically reuse passwords that have been sent to NickServ.
- Maps now uses Mapbox as the supplier of its OpenStreetMap data. This is expected to provide a more reliable service in the future.
- Performance has been dramatically improved in Music. The application now loads faster and the albums grid automatically adjusts to make the best use of the space available.
- Videos now allows playback at different rates. This is useful for various things, such as when listening to talks or taking notes.
- Web, the GNOME browser, now has a shortcut window. It also has a new context menu in the address bar to “Paste & Go”.
- GNOME’s eBook application has initial support for viewing ePub books.
Install GNOME 3.22
Ubuntu users can easily install GNOME 3.22. Run the following commands in Terminal to install GNOME 3.22 on Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.04 and other Ubuntu Derivatives:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install ubuntu-gnome-desktop
Please note that you may be asked to select and autorize few settings. Please follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Uninstall GNOME 3.22
To uninstall GNOME 3.22 from Ubuntu Systems, run the commands given below:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo apt-get update
Please restart the system after running the above commands.