Which is the best Ubuntu RSS Reader? Install RSS Guard Feed Reader 3.3.7 on Ubuntu 16.10 and Ubuntu 16.04. RSS Guard Feed Reader is simple, light and easy-to-use RSS/ATOM feed aggregator for Linux Ubuntu developed using Qt framework which supports online feed synchronization. With the latest release, all textual contents of all messages are now locally saved in explicit UTF-8 encoding.
Other changes that has been released with RSS Guard Feed Reader 3.3.7 are:
▪ Some localizations added & updated.
▪ User now can place custom user skins in user “data” folder. (issue #81) See “About” dialog for the exact path.
▪ User now can select if DB transactions are enabled or not. (bug #70) By default, DB transactions are now switched OFF, therefore anyone who wants better performance, must turn them ON in app settings.
▪ MySQL database backend now requires at least version 5.5, DB encoding is now changed to utf8mb4 character set. (bug #74)
▪ Height if message attachment image is now configurable, defaults to 36. (issue #69)
▪ All textual contents of all messages are now locally saved in explicit UTF-8 encoding. This is partially because of MySQL backend. We need to keep encoding of data sent to DB and encoding of DB itself in parity.
▪ TT-RSS plugin now does NOT require service URL to be entered with “/api/” suffix. In other words, do not use that suffix now, RSS Guard will add it silently when it needs to.
▪ Fixed problem with strings in core being rendered untranslated. (bug #60)
▪ Fixed problem with feed updates progress bar flickering. (bug #73)
▪ Partially fixed problem with incorrect number of downloaded messages being reported. (bug #70)
Install RSS Reader 3.3.7 On Ubuntu
Run the following commands in terminal to install RSS Reader 3.3.7 on Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04 and other Ubuntu Derivatives.
sudo apt-get update
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu xenial-getdeb apps" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list'
wget -q -O - http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install rssguard
Once installed, open the RSS reader from Ubuntu Dash.