Install Emacs 25 in Ubuntu, via Command Line. Emacs 25.1 can be installed on Ubuntu via PPA. GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable, text editor. At its core is an interpreter for Emacs Lisp, a dialect of the Lisp programming language with extensions to support text editing. It has a full Unicode support for nearly all human scripts. The Emacs comes with content-aware editing modes, including syntax coloring, for many file types. It also comes with a packaging system for downloading and installing extensions. For new-users it has a complete built-in documentation, including a tutorial.
- Emacs can now load shared/dynamic libraries (modules)
- Experimental support for Cairo drawing
- Enhanced network security (TLS/SSL certificate validity and the like)
- New minor mode ‘electric-quote-mode’ for using curved quotes as you type
- Character folding support in isearch.el
- Xwidgets: a new feature for embedding native widgets inside Emacs buffers
- New and improved facilities for inserting Unicode characters
There are many more changes; for a summary see the etc/NEWS file, which you can view from Emacs with `C-h n’.
Run the following commands in Terminal to install EMacs 25.1 on Ubuntu Systems:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelleyk/emacs
sudo apt update
sudo apt install emacs25
Once installed Emacs can be opened from Ubuntu Dash.