Install Bender 2.79 on Ubuntu; Commands to install Blender via Ubuntu command line. Download and install Blender on Ubuntu and create 3D animations. Blender supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation.
Bender 2.79 comes with many new features. For example:
- Denoise: Get rid of render noise while preserving visual detail as well as possible. Same render time, buttery smooth.
- Filmic Color Management: A new Filmic view transform has been added, for more photorealistic results and better handling of high dynamic range.
- PBR Shader: Based on the Disney model, the principled BSDF is a new surface shader node. Combining multiple layers into a single easy to use node.
- Faster OpenCL: Blender 2.79 features much faster AMD OpenCL rendering and feature parity with NVIDIA CUDA. Including support for Subsurface Scattering, Volumetrics and optimized transparent shadows.
- Shadow Catcher: Combine CGI elements with real-life footage easily with the new Shadow Catcher feature for Cycles.
- More Cycles Improvements: Shaders compilation is now multithreaded, a new light sampling threshold feature was added, speedups up to 20% for CPUs that support AVX2, brick textures have now smoothing and a long-waited feature: texture coordinates for point, spot and area lamps!
Plus a whole bunch of updates. Some of them are:
- Displace Modifier: Multi-threading support and new Global/Local space option for X/Y/Z/XYZ directions.
- Mirror Modifier: add offset for mirrored UVs.
- Mesh intersect has a new Cut separate mode, keeping each side of the intersection separate without splitting faces in half.
- New tool to Set custom normals from selected faces.
- Improved center of mass calculation for mesh centers.
- Application templates to define a reusable configuration
- Automatic scaling for high DPI displays on Windows and Linux
- Image empties now support multi-view stereo
- Reorganized sequencer and UV editor panels
- Custom shortcuts for keyframing and drivers
- More tooltips now show the reason why the button is disabled
- Add-on duplicates warning now includes paths
- Video encoding settings have been simplified, along with the addition of a Constant Rate Factor (CRF) mode.
- Viewport support for Object Info, Layer Weight and Fresnel shading nodes.
- OpenSubdiv now supports multiple materials drawing in Cycles textured view
- Duplicate Particle Systems
- Rigid Body Physics: support for rotational springs with stiffness and damping.
- Collada improvements
- Freestyle improvements
A grand total of 789 bugs have been fixed for Blender 2.79, making it rock stable.
Install Blender 2.79
Run the following commands to install Blender 2.79 on Linux Ubuntu via Snap:
sudo apt-get install snapd xdg-open-snapd
sudo apt-get update
sudo snap install blender --classic
Run the following commands to install Blender 2.79 on Linux Ubuntu via PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thomas-schiex/blender
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender
Once installed, open Blender from Ubuntu Dash.