FFmpeg 3.4 Released. How to install FFmpeg 3.4 via PPA in Ubuntu Linux Systems. ffmpeg is a video and audio converter. ffmpeg is a command line toolbox to manipulate, convert and stream multimedia content.
ffmpeg is the leading multimedia framework, able to decode, encode, transcode, mux, demux, stream, filter and play pretty much anything that humans and machines have created. It supports the most obscure ancient formats up to the cutting edge. No matter if they were designed by some standards committee, the community or a corporation. It is also highly portable: FFmpeg compiles, runs, and passes our testing infrastructure FATE across Linux, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, the BSDs, Solaris, etc. under a wide variety of build environments, machine architectures, and configurations.
ffmpeg is a video and audio converter that can also grab from a live audio/video source. It can also convert between arbitrary sample rates and resize video on the fly with a high quality polyphase filter.
FFmpeg – Libraries & Tools
FFmpeg is a collection of libraries and tools to process multimedia content such as audio, video, subtitles and related metadata.
- libavcodec provides implementation of a wider range of codecs.
- libavformat implements streaming protocols, container formats and basic I/O access.
- libavutil includes hashers, decompressors and miscellaneous utility functions.
- libavfilter provides a mean to alter decoded Audio and Video through chain of filters.
- libavdevice provides an abstraction to access capture and playback devices.
- libswresample implements audio mixing and resampling routines.
- libswscale implements color conversion and scaling routines.
- ffmpeg is a command line toolbox to manipulate, convert and stream multimedia content.
- ffplay is a minimalistic multimedia player.
- ffprobe is a simple analysis tool to inspect multimedia content.
- ffserver is a multimedia streaming server for live broadcasts.
- Additional small tools such as aviocat, ismindex and qt-faststart.
FFmpeg – Install
Run the following commands in terminal to install FFmpeg 3.4 via PPA in Ubuntu Linux Systems:
sudo apt update
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg