Calibre 2.74 released. Learn how to update Calibre and how to install Calibre 2.74 ebook reader (via Calibre Ubuntu PPA) on Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04 and other Ubuntu Derivatives.
Calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. Calibre 2.X version is the most powerful release of the Calibre ebook software. The e-book editor supports Android phones, tablets on OS X and support for touchscreen windows tablets. It uses Qt 5.
Calibre 2.74 ebook reader and editor brings a handful of new features and fixes. It now allows downloading from amazon.cn as well and allow disabling the ‘Files already arranged into folders’ message popup. For Linux Systems, the Calibre 2.74 has fixed the third party plugins that create dynamic context menus not working on Linux Ubuntu Systems.
- Amazon metadata download: Allow downloading from amazon.cn as well. To use go to Preferences->Metadata download and customize the amazon plugin to download from amazon.cn
- Edit Book: Allow disabling the ‘Files already arranged into folders’ message popup
- Edit Book: Fix selected text not being fully highlighted when using the solarized color schemes.
- calibredb: Fix CSV output for the check_library command not being properly escaped
- Fix subsetting of fonts whose names start with ‘and’ not working
- Fix a regression in 2.72 that broke the –start-in-tray command line option.
- Fix third party plugins that create dynamic context menus not working in linux
- DOCX Input: Fix images wider than 50% of the page width being incorrectly right aligned even when anchored to the center of the page.
- Catalog generation: Ensure all citation keys in BiBTeX catalogs have only ascii characters.
- Get Books: Update ebookpoint and legimi plugins for website changes
- EPUB3 metadata: Ensure updating metadata never produces empty dc:contributor elements.
- DOCX Output: Fix an error when converting tables with spanning cells.
- Nicer error message if the user tries to import data while the content server is running
Improved news sources
- Korea Herald
- Pagina 12
- Edge Conversations
- Mobile Nations
- Security Watch
- Sign on SD
- Star Advertiser
Install Calibre 2.74
Run the following commands in Terminal to install Calibre 2.67 on Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04 and other Ubuntu Derivatives:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failedn'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
Once installed, open Calibre from Ubuntu Dash or run “calibre” in Terminal (without quotes) to start Calibre .