Install Terminix Terminal Emulator on Ubuntu 16.10 and Ubuntu 16.04 Systems. Terminix is a GTK3 Tiling Terminal Emulator for Linux Ubuntu Systems.
The application was written using GTK 3 and an effort was made to conform to GNOME Human Interface Guidelines (HIG). As a result, it does use CSD (i.e. the GTK HeaderBar) though it can be disabled if necessary. Other than GNOME, only Unity has been tested officially though users have had success with other desktop environments.
Terminix uses the VTE GTK+ 3 widget with the following features:
- Layout terminals in any fashion by splitting them horizontally or vertically
- Terminals can be re-arranged using drag and drop both within and between windows
- Terminals can be detached into a new window via drag and drop
- Input can be synchronized between terminals so commands typed in one terminal are replicated to the others
- The grouping of terminals can be saved and loaded from disk
- Terminals support custom titles
- Color schemes are stored in files and custom color schemes can be created by simply creating a new file
- Transparent background
- Background images
- Quake mode support (i.e. drop-down terminal)
- Custom hyperlinks
- Automatic (triggered) profile switches based on hostname and directory
- Supports notifications when processes are completed out of view. Requires the Fedora notification patches for VTE
- Experimental trigger support (Requires patched VTE)
- Experimental badge support (Requires patched VTE)
Install Terminix Terminal Emulator
Run the following commands in terminal to install Terminix Terminal Emulator on Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04 and other Derivatives:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/terminix
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install terminix
Once installed, you can open the Terminix from Ubuntu dash or Terminal.