How to rename multiple files at once with different names. Install Metamorphose 2 application to rename multiple files on Linux Ubuntu. How to rename a file in terminal Linux; Command to rename multiple files in a directory.
Metamorphose is a batch renamer, a program to rename large sets of files and folders quickly and easily. With its extensive feature set, flexibility and powerful interface, Metamorphose is a professionals’ tool. A must-have for those that need to rename many files and/or folders on a regular basis.
In addition to general usage renaming, it is very useful for photo and music collections, webmasters, programmers, legal and clerical, etc.
- Preview every item to be renamed before comiting changes.
- Add any number of operations in any order (v.2 only)
- Recursive renamer : load all files in directory and in subdirectories.
- Undo changes in case of mistakes.
- Regular expression support throughout.
- Rename music and image files by their metadata information.
- Full unicode support means any character from any language can be used.
- Use of all allowed characters under Windows and OSX, all except ‘:’ in Linux.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt update sudo apt install metamorphose2
Once installed, launch the Metamorphose application using the command:
Metamorphose will be installed in /usr/share/metamorphose2, you can run it with:
and access the man page with:
- Renaming operations, which can apply to name and/or extension :
- Replacement, modification, or move by: Character, position, or regular expression.
- Insertion by : Position or every (number) characters.
- Length modifications (padding, truncating, or both).
- Renaming styles : combination of: user text, numbering, audio tags, date, time.
- Modifications : UPPERCASE, lowercase, Capitalize first, Title Style, sWAP cASE, ‘DoRkIfY’
- Move by position, text, or regular expression.
- Sequential numbering (enumerating) options :
- Use integers, alphabetical, or roman numerals
- Use padding
- With integers, use any character to any fixed width, or auto pad.
- With alphabetical, auto pad in this format : aaa, aab, aac, … aba, … ygr, et cetera
- Control step size, starting number, reset count.
- Set date and time manually or get from system.
- Use supplied defaults or specify your own date and time formats.