Install Audacity in Ubuntu via Terminal; Here’s how to install Audacity 2.2.0 via PPA in Ubuntu 17.10 and Ubuntu 17.04. Audacity is free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.
Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from other media. It can easily import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in many different file formats, including multiple files at once. It supports 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit (floating point) samples and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering. It supports plugins too, support for LADSPA, LV2, Nyquist, VST and Audio Unit effect plug-ins.
Audacity 2.2.0 Improvements
- Four Selectable themes provided, with new ‘Light’ theme as default, plus option to customize
- Many menu changes:
- Menus Reorganized
- Extended menu bar provided
- New keyboard commands for working with clips
- Help buttons in Preferences, Effects, Generators and Analyzers – and other places
- Non-Greying out of effects when no selection (and explanatory dialog with help button)
- Playback of MIDI (and Allegro) files imported into Note Tracks is now available.
- ‘Center’ option in Selection Toolbar
- Stem plots
- Major overhaul to documentation/manual including many new images and streamlined text on landing pages for in-program help.
Other Changes – Audacity 2.2.0
- Append-record is now the default (use + Record for old behavior, to record on a new track)
- The key now cancels all click-and-drag actions. It also chooses among overlapping mouse click targets, which is especially useful in the Multi-Tool.
- Sync-Lock button removed (use menu item or keyboard shortcut instead)
- New preferences and preference pages
- Overhaul of much code:
- Overhaul of envelope handling code to deal with some anomalies
- Overhaul of exception handling for greater safety
- New Logo
Run the following commands in Terminal to install Audacity in Ubuntu via Terminal; Audacity 2.2.0 via PPA in Ubuntu 17.10 and Ubuntu 17.04:
sudo apt-get update
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/audacity
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install audacity
Once installed, open Audacity from Ubuntu Dash.